Book Code: 9789386397966
All Prices are including Free shipping via Air-Mail
The Title Disaster Vulnerability Management and Mitigation written/authored/edited by SEEMIN MUSHIR, published in the year 2018. This book has total of pp. 262.The publisher of this title is KLPZ.This Book is in English.
ABOUT THE BOOK
The present work is an effort of author to explore and investigate disasters their typology and occurrence as well as their management and simplify it for the students of disaster management at the graduation, post-graduation and for those who are doing research in this field. This book has many relevant data maps and text for those who are preparing for various Civil services and other competitive exams. Author completed her doctorate in Environment, and teaching geography and disaster management in the Department of Geography Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, from last fourteen years. The idea to write a book on disaster management emerge because of author’s keen interest in this field as she already publish many papers on disasters and their impacts she further wants to exceed her expertise to pen down the issues related to disaster management in a more organized and generalized way. This book has recent data and maps presenting current scenario of the problem in the world and India. The book has recent information so that it can help to planners and disaster managers as well as students of related fields. This book will reshape prevalent vulnerabilities in the world as well as in the country. The emerging scenario is indicative of increasing vulnerabilities in the world. The disasters cannot be stopped but their effects can be reduced up to some extent by careful planning and preparedness. This book defines disasters that are prevalent in the world and the ways adopted for their management and mitigation. Risk and vulnerabilities are viewed here as a manifestation of marginalization of a large section of society, their vulnerable living conditions and lack of access to basic services. The book has two distinct parts, the world disasters and disasters in India, their nature, typology, distribution, and management measures. This book has seven chapters on different aspects of disaster management.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Seemin Mushir is a teaching faculty in the Department of Geography, Jamia Millia Islamia. New Delhi, since 2004. She has completed her graduation, post-graduation and PhD. From the department of Geography Jamia Millia Islamia. She has excellent academic records, she is throughout first class first, she was the topper in class XII and in M.A geography she secured second position in graduation. She was awarded PhD. Degree on the topic “Quality of Urban Environment- A case study of Saharanpur City”. This research work is widely acknowledged and appreciated by the academicians and researchers, it is referred in many studies done on the related topics. She taught various papers during her career, especially Disaster Management, Environment studies and physical geography.
She is author of a book entitled quality of Urban Environment and several research papers on the topic of environment, disasters and tourism. Her papers are published in various journals of both national and international repute She also worked with NGOs on various projects
List of Tables . 9
List of Figures . 11
List of Maps . 13
Foreword . 15
Preface . 17
Acknowledgement . 19
SECTION - 1
1. What is a Disaster? . 23
• What is Hazard • Types of Disasters • Natural Disasters • Cyclones • Earthquakes • Landslides • Avalanches • Tsunami • Floods • Droughts.
2. Anthropogenic Disasters . 77
• Oil Spills • Oil Fires • Terrorism • Nuclear Reactor Meltdown • Chemical Disasters • Building Fires • Biological Disasters.
3. Disaster Management . 99
• Institutional Arrangements • Hazard Mapping • Disaster Management and its phases • Pre Disaster Phase • Preparedness of planning • Community based Disaster Management • Disaster Mitigation • During Disaster Phase • Response • Search • Rescue • Relief • Post Disaster Phase • Rehabilitation and Reconstruction • Role of Various Agencies in Reconstruction • Cooperation for assistance and Relief Everywhere • (CARE India) • International Agencies.
4. Risk . 135
• Risk Assessment • Techniques of Risk Assessment • Fault Tree Analysis • Maximum Credibility Accident Analysis (MCAA) • HAZOP • Hazard Analysis (HAZAN) • Risk Reduction • People Participation in Risk Assessment.
5. Vulnerability . 145
• Indicators of Vulnerability • Vulnerability Atlas • Vulnerability Analysis • Vulnerability Reduction • Approaches to Vulnerability Analysis • Planning for Disaster • Disaster Preparedness • Role of Remote Sensing and GIS in Disaster Management.
6. Logistic Management . 155
• Stress Management • Disaster Training • Disaster Warnings and Forecasting • Towards effective preparedness • Disaster Leadership • Co-Ordination
• Communication • Survival Strategies during Disaster.
7. Role of Media in Disaster Management 179
• Media and Disaster Response • Types of Media • Media at criticism • Application of space Technology in the Management of Di sasters.
SECTION - 2
Disasters in India
Disaster management in India . 189
• Functions of NDMA • National policy of Disaster management • Role of Institutions in Disaster Management • Strengthening the institutional mechanism
• Disaster Preparedness • Vulnerability Index of India • Natural Disasters in India • Earthquakes • Lightening • Floods • Cyclones • Drought • Anthropogenic disasters • Bhopal Gas tragedy • Oleum Gas Leak • 2010 Ladakh Flood • Kedarnath floods • Maline Landslide • India Pakistan Flood 2014 • Funding of Disaster Management activities • Seismic Vulnerability of NCR-Delhi from a large earthquake • Forecasting of Disasters in India.
Key Concepts . 243
References . 247
Index . 253
www.gyanbooks.com is not be responsible for typing or photographical mistake if any. Prices are subject to change without notice.
© 2003-18 GYAN BOOKS PRIVATE LIMITED. All Rights Reserved.
Last updated: 20-Jun-2018 Designed by IndiaPRIDE.com